Just some quick impressions from the camp this evening. As always, just my opinion:
- Voracek looked a little out of sorts. His skill was obvious, but he seemed to be making some mistakes, and looked frustrated at times. Hopefully just working out the kinks.
- Grant Clitsome looked pretty solid on defense. Nothing spectacular, but like a guy you’d count on sitting on a one-goal lead. Even if he did graduate from the great green-and-gold Satan.
- Maxim Mayorov is big and skilled. Seemed a little confused at times by instructions, which I would assume is a language issue. Maybe we can get him some English lessons with Filatov’s mother (get your mind out of the gutter!)
- Cody Goloubef has a good shot and good passing skills. Seemed to struggle a little with some of the bigger forwards, but he’s young and should fill out.
- Ted Ruth wasn’t quite as polished as Clitsome, but he seemed pretty solid as well. He was paired a lot with Goloubef — possible Jackets’ second pairing in five years?
- Unsigned free agent John Hughes looked pretty good — one of those speedy little guys I’m always a sucker for. Maybe another Geoff Platt in the making?
- Tyler Wright looked to be having fun out on the ice.
Those are my quick takes on day one…I should make it over tomorrow morning.